Advance journalists unearth stories on people, policy and politics and tell them in a compelling way. Beats may include politics, economy and labor, health care, immigration and civil rights.
Ideal candidates will have a minimum of 5 years journalism experience, WordPress fluency, editing experience, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit. Candidates should possess knowledge of Michigan’s political landscape and leaders, sound news judgment and the ability to work on deadline.
- Editing stories and identifying visuals
- Serving as a backup for the Editor-in-chief
- Producing high-quality daily reporting on issues facing Michigan, including blog posts, enterprise stories and series
- Generating story ideas
- Taking photos and/or video
- Pursuing story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approaching assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with colleagues
- Assisting other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge
- Expanding the outlet’s digital media presence and using personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
This is a full-time position based in Lansing. Compensation is competitive and includes very generous benefits.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three stories to [email protected]. Clips should be a daily story, an in-depth or investigative story, and a story that showcases your writing style.