The Michigan Advance is adding to our team in Lansing. We’re looking for a reporter to cover women’s issues, civil rights, criminal justice and the environment. The reporter will produce daily, investigative and enterprise reporting on topics determined in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief. The reporter will also provide content for the daily blog and post on social media. Editing experience is a plus.
- Producing high-quality daily reporting on issues facing Michigan, including enterprise stories and series
- Contributing short post(s) daily to the blog
- Taking photos and/or video
- Generating story ideas with the editorial team
- Pursuing story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approaching assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editors and colleagues
- Assisting other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establishing and expanding digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
The reporter should possess knowledge of Michigan’s political landscape and leaders, sound news judgment and the ability to work on deadline. Ideal candidates will have at least 2 years news reporting and/or editing experience, flexibility and an entrepreneurial spirit.
This is a full-time position based in Lansing. Compensation is competitive and includes very generous benefits.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three stories to [email protected]. Clips should be a daily story, an in-depth or investigative story, and a story that showcases your writing style.