Last week, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer used the state Administrative Board to move about $6 million in the Fiscal Year 2020 budget that the GOP-led Legislature didn’t include to publicize new Medicaid work requirements signed by her GOP predecessor, Rick Snyder.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) on Friday announced it is launching 14 regional forums this fall to inform residents of changes to the program known as Healthy Michigan.
Beginning on Jan. 1, beneficiaries will be required to report 80 hours of work and other activities to DHHS each month. Some beneficiaries can be excused from the requirements, but those who aren’t may lose their health care coverage if they don’t comply.
The department has reached out to beneficiaries, providers, health plans and other community organizations over the last year on the changes. Last month, DHHS sent a letter to enrollees detailing the requirements.
Beneficiaries, health care providers, health plans, and community organizations are invited to participate in these forums. Here is the tentative schedule:
- Lansing: Oct. 21 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Lansing Community College – West Campus, 5708 Cornerstone Dr., Lansing.
- Marquette: Oct. 22 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Upper Peninsula Health Plan, 853 W. Washington St., Marquette.
- St. Ignace: Oct. 22 from 5 pm to 6:30 pm, St. Ignace Public Library, 110 W. Spruce Street, St. Ignace.
- Roscommon: Oct. 23 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center, 104 Conservation Dr., Roscommon.
- Detroit No. 1: Oct. 30 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Cadillac Place, Conference Room L-150, 3044 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit.
- Detroit No. 2: Oct. 30 from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., Cadillac Place, Conference Room L-150, 3044 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit.
- Flint: Oct. 31 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Genesee County Community Action Resource Department (GCCARD), 601 N. Saginaw St., Flint.
- Saginaw: To be announced.
- Waterford: Nov. 4 from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., Oakland Schools Conference Center, 2111 Pontiac Lake Rd., Waterford.
- Jackson: Nov. 5 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Center for Family Health, 505 N. Jackson St., Jackson.
- Kalamazoo: Nov. 5 from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Family Health Center, 505 E. Alcott, Kalamazoo.
- Grand Rapids: Nov. 6 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Eberhard Conference Center, Grand Valley State University, 301 W. Fulton St., Grand Rapids.
- Muskegon: Nov. 6 from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., Stevenson Room, Muskegon Community College, 211 Quarterline Rd., Muskegon.
- Dearborn: To be announced.
DHHS encourages people to register for the forums online here and clicking the Changes Coming in 2020 tab. DHHS also issued proposed policies to implement the new work requirements for public comment through Nov. 6.