Slotkin receives threatening call 

    Rep. Elissa Slotkin at the Lansing Women's March, Jan. 18, 2020 | Anna Liz Nichols

    U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-Holly) on Sunday issued a statement after receiving a violent phone call. 

    “This week, a caller left a voicemail at my campaign headquarters using threatening, sexually explicit, and violent language, including a threat to ‘shoot my way to victory,’” Slotkin said.  

    She added that her staff contacted the U.S. Capitol Police and Lansing police. They believe the threat came from someone in Ingham County. 

    “Upon investigation, they determined that the individual was unlikely to pose an actual threat, which was a relief,” Slotkin said. “I’m grateful for the efforts of the U.S. Capitol Police and law enforcement agencies here in the 8th District for their swift work.” 

    Whitmer: Biden ‘was mad’ when he called after murder plot arrests

    Slotkin faces Republican Paul Junge on Nov. 3 in the race for Michigan’s 8th Congressional District. 

    She said this is not the first time violent threats have been directed at her or members of her team.

    “I am making this threat public because the climate has gotten significantly worse in the last few weeks,” Slotkin said. “I also want to make clear that law enforcement will be involved in each and every threat we receive. We cannot let it be normal that political differences are metered out with threats of violence,” she said.

    The incident comes during a period when other elected officials have been threatened over their COVID-19 orders, including Govs. Gretchen Whitmer and Mike Northam of Virginia, both Democrats, and Mike DeWine of Ohio, a Republican. In addition, Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden also have received threats in recent weeks. 

    “We have to be better than this,” Slotkin said. “Our kids and our country deserve better than this. Leadership climate is set from the top, and every elected leader needs to set an example by calling out violent and intimidating threats and making clear it has no business in the 8th District, our state and our country.”   

    Ken Coleman
    Ken Coleman covers Southeast Michigan, economic justice and civil rights. He is a former Michigan Chronicle senior editor and served as the American Black Journal segment host on Detroit Public Television. He has written and published four books on black life in Detroit, including Soul on Air: Blacks Who Helped to Define Radio in Detroit and Forever Young: A Coleman Reader. His work has been cited by the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, History Channel and CNN. Additionally, he was an essayist for the award-winning book, Detroit 1967: Origins, Impacts, Legacies. Ken has served as a spokesperson for the Michigan Democratic Party, Detroit Public Schools, U.S. Sen. Gary Peters and U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence. Previously to joining the Advance, he worked for the Detroit Federation of Teachers as a communications specialist. He is a Historical Society of Michigan trustee and a Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit advisory board member.