Another one bites the dust: Plaintiffs pull lawsuit asking for 1.2M ballots to be tossed

    Trump counter-protest of Bernie Sanders car rally for Joe Biden in Warren, Oct. 6, 2020 | Andrew Roth

    A presidential election lawsuit filed on Wednesday seeking to invalidate 1.2 million Michigan votes in Ingham, Wayne and Washtenaw counties has been voluntarily dismissed by plaintiffs before consideration, according to a new filing. 

    This is one of several lawsuits filed by President Donald Trump and his allies in Michigan and other states seeking to stop vote certifications, toss ballots and more.

    The Associated Press on Nov. 4 declared Biden the winner of Michigan’s 16 electoral votes. Biden leads Trump by about 150,000 votes in unofficial Secretary of State returns, or a 3% margin. On Nov. 7, AP declared Biden president-elect as he exceeded the requisite 270 votes in the Electoral College.

    Carol Hatch, Steven Butler, Lena Bally and Gavriel Grossbard had filed the suit in Michigan’s U.S. District Court’s Western District. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, as well as county officials were named as defendants. The plaintiffs alleged that illegal votes were cast in the three heavily Democratic counties during the presidential election.

    “This case was clearly designed to spread misinformation about the security and integrity of Michigan elections,” said Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel in a statement on Monday. “Our elections have been conducted fairly and transparently and the results reflect the will of Michigan’s voters. Any claims to the contrary are wholly without merit.”

    In a similar but separate case, Wayne County Circuit Judge Timothy Kenny on Friday rejected a lawsuit asking to stop the canvassing and certification of Wayne County’s election results. Kenny had denied an earlier request centering on the absentee ballot count at the TCF Center in Detroit. 

    In that case, he said allegations of unfair ballot counting were “mere speculation.” In another case, a Michigan Court of Claims judge rejected a request to stop the count.

    Ken Coleman
    Ken Coleman covers Southeast Michigan, economic justice and civil rights. He is a former Michigan Chronicle senior editor and served as the American Black Journal segment host on Detroit Public Television. He has written and published four books on black life in Detroit, including Soul on Air: Blacks Who Helped to Define Radio in Detroit and Forever Young: A Coleman Reader. His work has been cited by the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press, History Channel and CNN. Additionally, he was an essayist for the award-winning book, Detroit 1967: Origins, Impacts, Legacies. Ken has served as a spokesperson for the Michigan Democratic Party, Detroit Public Schools, U.S. Sen. Gary Peters and U.S. Rep. Brenda Lawrence. Previously to joining the Advance, he worked for the Detroit Federation of Teachers as a communications specialist. He is a Historical Society of Michigan trustee and a Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Detroit advisory board member.